Ed began as an administrator in 1982, making the firm one of the only accounting firms in the U.S. to hire a non-billable manager to oversee day-to-day operations. He quickly identified ways to increase Ellin & Tucker’s efficiency, and was promoted to CEO and Managing Director in 1990. His strategic vision for defined success and a collaborative work culture has led the firm to more than double its business portfolio, increase staffing, and position the company as Baltimore’s 5th largest audit, accounting, tax and business consulting firm.
Ed’s expertise includes practice management, cost containment and a leadership role in the career development process of young professionals. He also consults with professional service organizations on the key factors of a successful company. Prior to joining the firm, he practiced public accounting for a large regional accounting firm in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where he assisted privately held businesses with accounting, tax and consulting services.
Today, Ellin & Tucker is still one of the only accounting firms in the U.S. that employs a Managing Director who is fully operationally focused, a trait that separates the firm from the competition. For Ed, the future of Ellin & Tucker rests heavily on the foundation of the firm’s past: “Our founders created a system of values and benchmarks for success that wasn’t purely financially driven — it was about people. We value our employees and their families, our clients and our community. Staying true to those core values has helped us weather some challenging times. I’ve found that when we are true to our values, good things happen and we are successful.”
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
Ed is an active and well-respected leader in the greater Baltimore community, currently serving Board positions with the following organizations:
- Board of Directors, Finance Committee Member of the Downtown Partnership
- Board of Directors, Executive Committee member and past Chairperson of the Economic Alliance of Greater Baltimore
- Maryland Zoological Society (Maryland Zoo in Baltimore), past Chairperson and current member of the Board of Trustees, Executive Committee and Audit Committee
- BB&T Baltimore City Advisory Board, Chairperson
- DFK International/USA, member and past President
- Past member and past Chairperson of the Loyola University Accounting Advisory Board
- Past member of the United Way of Central Maryland Executive Volunteer program
- Member of “The Board”, a group of privately held business owners
PUBLISHED THOUGHT LEADERSHIP
Follow the links below to read Ed’s most recent contributions to locally and nationally recognized publications